Visit a Catalan food market and the medieval town of Montblanc, before heading to a festival to see a human tower display! Traveling from Barcelona with an expert local guide, you’ll browse the tempting stalls of a local food market and then explore Montblanc on a walking tour. See highlights like St Jordi Gate, hearing about the legend of St George and the dragon, and then spend your afternoon at a Catalan festival, watching an incredible human tower being built!
- Family friendly
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
- Ideal choice for families
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Small-group tour by minibus
Leave Barcelona by air-conditioned minibus and head to a market in one of two neighboring towns: Santa Margarida i els Monjos or Vilafranca del Penedès (depending on access on the day of your tour). Locals buy most of their food from these markets, and you’ll find a great selection of colorful fruit and vegetables, artisan cheeses, olives and cured meats at both. Browse the stalls and soak up the bustling ambiance before hopping back on board your minibus.
Continue south to Montblanc, and explore this charming medieval town on a leisurely paced walking tour with your guide. See Bover Tower, the town’s defence gate, and admire the well-preserved old city walls. Pass 13th- and 14th century buildings as you stroll along the town’s main promenade, and visit St Jordi Gate, where an important local legend originated; it marks the spot where St George saved Montblanc by killing the town's dragon. Gaze at the Church of Santa Maria’s Gothic façade and wander down Jaw’s Street – part of the town’s Jewish quarter.
After a break for lunch (own expense), head to a nearby town to experience a local festival. In Catalonia, there’s always a festival taking place somewhere, and the fiesta spirit is central to the region. A major part of many festival celebrations is the human tower displays, known as castells. See this time-honored Catalan tradition for yourself at the festival, and see Catalans of all ages taking part; typically the older veterans comprise the la pinya (solid tower base) while the brave and light anxanetas (usually youngsters) crown the top. Displays have been given UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage status for their unique expression of Catalan culture.
After enjoying the festival at leisure, head back to your minibus and return to Barcelona, where your tour ends.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 72 hours, subject to availability.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Small group tour ensures experience local culture first hand
- Note that Spanish law requires children under 10 years to travel in a children's car seat. Infant seats are available by request if advised at time of booking.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Walking tour of Montblanc
- Small-group tour
- Souvenir picture of your human tower
- Professional local guide
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Central Barcelona, near the Glories shopping center
Returns to original departure point.
Saturdays and Sundays