Combine mountains, history and wine on a private day trip from Barcelona to Montserrat and either the Freixenet or Codorniu winery. Enjoy stunning views of the area, see the famous 12th-century Black Virgin statue and taste excellent cava (Spanish sparkling wine). Accompanied by your own private guide, you'll enjoy personalized attention on this full-day tour.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Led by a local guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
After leaving Barcelona, your private day trip starts at Montserrat, a craggy mountain that overlooks the city. Visit the Benedictine abbey, where La Moroneta, a famous 12th-century statue of a black Virgin Mary is housed. If you’re at Montserrat on a weekday, you may also have the chance to hear La Escolania, one of Europe’s oldest children’s choirs.
You’ll also have time to visit the fascinating Museum of Montserrat, with its five collections ranging from Archaeology to the Biblical East to Modern Painting and Sculpture. Or discover the different walking paths on Montserrat. There are routes to suit all tastes and energy levels, from gentle strolls to fairly strenuous treks around the park area. All of the paths allow you to enjoy the unspoiled beauty of this protected natural park. For even more views, take one of the mountain’s two rack railways or the cable car (own expense), or simply savor the vistas from the café.
In the afternoon, leave Montserrat and head to Sant Sadurni d'Anoia, the center of Spain’s cava country. Two of the most famous sparkling wine producers of the Penedes region are Freixenet and Codorniu, and your tour includes a visit to one of their wine cellars, where the staff will show you how the delicious sparkling wine is produced. This will, of course, be accompanied by a tasting so you can find out exactly why cava has acquired such international fame.
This private tour from Barcelona is hosted by a professional guide. Please list any special interests you have (art, architecture, history, culture) at the time of booking to alert your guide, who will then prepare for your private tour.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not recommended for child aged 4 and under
- There will be time off the bus at your leisure, so please bring suitable clothing, footwear, and sun protection. Remember that temperatures at high altitudes will be much lower than in the city, so although it may be warm in Barcelona, please remember that it will be much cooler in the mountains.
- On certain weekends and during July and August it will not be possible to hear the boys choir sing.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Professional guide
- Wine tasting
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Private tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Montserrat cable car (approx. 8 euros)
- Montserrat Museum entrance fee (approx. 7 euros)
Tour start at approx. 9am. It's possible to arrange a different starting time once your booking is confirmed.
Centrally located hotels in Barcelona
Returns to original departure point
Daily, except Saturday