Not Reviewed (0 reviews)
Combine Catalan gastronomy with time-honored traditions on this 6.5-hour evening tour from Barcelona! After visiting the coastal wine town of Alella for a relaxing wine-tasting session, you’ll explore all the foodie hotspots in the Roman city of Mataró. Chow down on 'churros' (Spanish doughnuts) and Catalan cookies before watching an intriguing human tower display. You can even get involved and have a go yourself!
This small-group tour is limited to seven people, ensuring personalized attention from your guide.
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Family friendly
- Free snacks included
Leave Barcelona in the early evening, and travel by air-conditioned minivan to the village of Alella, about 9 miles (15 km) away. With an impressive history of winemaking that dates back to Roman times, the wine region of Alella, which lends its name to the town, is home to seven prestigious vineyards -- known locally as cellers or bodegas.
Learn all about the region’s strict regulations on grape varieties and organic agricultural practices as you visit one of the best bodegas in town. After touring the cellars, take part in a wine-tasting session, savoring the exquisite notes of red and white Alella wines while soaking up views of the Mediterranean Sea.
Continue to the nearby Roman city of Mataró, where you can stretch your legs during a leisurely paced walking tour. With food as the theme, your tour includes visits to the places where the locals themselves eat. Following your expert guide, visit a traditional churreria to try sugary, doughnut-like churros and stop at the town’s ‘Jamón Corner’ where you’ll sample locally cured meats. Learn about traditional Catalan baking while tasting cookies at La Confianza boutique, and then browse kitsch gourmet stalls in El Rengle market.
Besides its reputation as a hotbed for traveling foodies, Mataró is also famous as the home of the Human Tower Association center – where locals train to take part in traditional human tower (or castell) festivals around Catalonia. Head here to learn about this time-honored Catalan tradition -- listed as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage -- and watch a group of children performing.
After their rehearsal, you can have a go yourself! Entirely optional, your ‘practice session’ includes use of a traditional castell outfit and the help of an instructor to form part of la pinya – the solid human base of the tower. After watching or getting involved (the choice is yours!), you’ll return to Barcelona, arriving at about 11:30pm.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Minimum age for wine tasting is 18 years
- Note that Spanish law requires children under 10 years to travel in a children's car seat. Infant seats are available by request if advised at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- The children human tower rehearsal may be cancelled on certain days due to school calendar
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Tour of organic winery, cellar and vineyards
- Wine tasting (3 wines and cavas)
- Souvenir picture of your human tower
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food tasting
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Central Barcelona, near the Glories Shopping Center
6 hours 30 minutes
Returns to original departure point at approximately 11:30pm